SmartTots 2013 Research Grants Guidelines and Application Instructions
SmartTots is now accepting applications aimed at investigating whether anesthetics/sedatives are neurotoxic and/or impede the normal development of the human brain. Up to two projects will be selected to receive a maximum of $200,000 each.
- Projects should focus on whether neonatal anesthetic exposure in humans impairs brain development resulting in persistent detrimental effects on cognition or behavior. Studies aimed at identifying either specific anesthetic techniques that do not produce neurotoxic effects or interventions to ameliorate damage will also be considered. Retrospective or prospective studies in any species will be considered, provided they inform the existence of anesthetic-induced developmental neurotoxicity in humans.
- Specific questions of interest include:
- Do short and/or long anesthetic exposures in human neonates result in neuronal or glial cell death, or structural and/or functional abnormalities of the brain?
- Do short and/or long anesthetic exposures in human neonates result in persistent behavioral abnormalities (intellectual, motor, social, emotional, etc)?
- Are anesthetics and/or sedatives of specific frequency, duration, or timing of exposure correlated with detrimental effects on brain structure or function in humans?
- Funds should be used only for research support and direct costs; institutional indirect expenses will not be funded. Budget should not be used solely for salary support.
- Appropriate collaboration is encouraged, however, collaboration requires a biosketch from key personnel.
- Funded projects should be completed within two years of the grant being awarded.
Applying for a SmartTots Research Grant:
Applicants must hold a MD or PhD from an accredited institution. Prior recipients of a SmartTots Research Grant are not eligible to apply.
Before initiating an application, please review the SmartTots 2013 Research Grants Guidelines and Application Instructions .
- The online application is available through the proposalCENTRAL Application System. The application is listed under:
- Grant Maker: SmartTots
- Program: SmartTots Research Grant
Applications must be submitted through proposalCENTRAL by April 12, 2013. Please contact email@example.com with any questions.
Application Review and Recipient Selection:
All proposals will be reviewed by the SmartTots Scientific Advisory Board. Up to two proposals will be selected to receive a maximum of $200,000 each, payable over two years. The grants will be awarded in Summer 2013.