The IARS recently announced the appointment of Lena S. Sun, MD, as the Medical Director of SmartTots. Dr. Sun is an established basic science, translational and clinical researcher, a board-certified physician in Pediatrics, Anesthesiology and Pediatric Anesthesiology and a practicing pediatric anesthesiologist. As the Medical Director of SmartTots, she will help promote and advocate for research to advance and ensure safety of anesthesia in children. She will specifically work with researchers, clinicians, parents and other relevant stakeholders to develop future research strategies to address the pressing challenges to understand the effects of anesthetic and sedative agents in the developing brain. She will also work with all stakeholders to support the implementation and dissemination of research results related to all SmartTots-related issues.
- Dr. Sun shares her plans for SmartTots
- Changes in sensory processing after anesthesia in toddlers.
- Caffeine Augments Anesthesia Neurotoxicity in the Fetal Macaque Brain.
- Persistent alteration in behavioural reactivity to a mild social stressor in rhesus monkeys repeatedly exposed to sevoflurane in infancy.
- A neurosteroid analogue with T-type calcium channel blocking properties is an effective hypnotic, but is not harmful to neonatal rat brain.