The IARS recently announced the appointment of Lena S. Sun, MD, as the Medical Director of SmartTots. Dr. Sun is an established basic science, translational and clinical researcher, a board-certified physician in Pediatrics, Anesthesiology and Pediatric Anesthesiology and a practicing pediatric anesthesiologist. As the Medical Director of SmartTots, she will help promote and advocate for research to advance and ensure safety of anesthesia in children. She will specifically work with researchers, clinicians, parents and other relevant stakeholders to develop future research strategies to address the pressing challenges to understand the effects of anesthetic and sedative agents in the developing brain. She will also work with all stakeholders to support the implementation and dissemination of research results related to all SmartTots-related issues.
- When Your Child Needs Surgery, Don’t Fear Anesthesia, Says American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Neurotoxicity of Inhalation Anesthetics in the Neonatal Rat Brain: Effects on Behavior and Neurodegeneration in the Piriform Cortex.
- Does pediatric anesthesia cause brain damage? Addressing parental and provider concerns in light of compelling animal studies and seemingly ambivalent human data.
- The postoperative effect of sevoflurane inhalational anesthesia on cognitive function and inflammatory response of pediatric patients.
- General anesthetics and cytotoxicity: possible implications for brain health.